10 May 2012

DENVER 2012!


Jonny and I headed to Denver for the weekend to catch a couple of Rockies games (28-29 Mar).  They were playing the Mets.  Need I say more?




The picture is a little dark, but we are standing in front of Coors Field in Denver!  We had a little time to kill before the game started, so we walked around the city a bit and looked for something to eat.




We ended up eating at Croc's Mexican Bar and Grill.  The food was delicious! And it is a start to get Jonny used to eating beans and rice as he will be heading to Guatemala for an LDS mission in July!




I have no idea what this is, but it was a cool sculpture thing over the railroad tracks that had a baseball on top, so obviously, I had to take a picture!


Coors Field in Denver.  A really nice ballpark and really friendly people! 


The great Johann Santana warming up.  He is in the warm up with sunglasses on his hat.  He didn't start today's game, but will be starting tomorrow's game. 



Our fabulous seats on the bleachers in left field.  It was a different perspective of the game that I have never had before, but I really enjoyed it!  Not to mention the seats were really cheap!  Too bad no one hit homers our way!


This kid was thoroughly annoying.  He was trying to get baseballs from the pitchers who were warming up and shagging balls in left field.  He just kept yelling "Hey you! Give me a ball!"  He was thoroughly annoying, and Jonny and I got a kick out of watching the pitchers deliberately ignore him!  He was really annoyed and kept mumbling how dumb the players were for not giving him a ball.  Who could blame them?  He didn't know their names, nor was he very kind!


David Wright.  The real reason for the trip to Denver!


The first attempt on getting a picture of the "Earthman."  More explanation to follow!


So at most baseball games, there is a race with different groupings.  At Coors Field, they happened to be toothpaste, a toothbrush, and a tooth.  Quite funny!


Good thing we took coats and warm clothes!  By the end of the night game, I couldn't feel my fingers (despite two pairs of gloves on) nor could I feel my toes.  But was it worth it? Of course!


Beautiful Coors Field being lit by the lights!


The 16th Street Mall is the coolest!  It is an entire road that has shops and restaurants and all sorts of things!  It is for pedestrians and the "16th Street Mall" bus.  It is really clean and a nice place to walk!


For breakfast, we stopped at Einstein Bagels and Jamba juice the next morning, because Jonny couldn't be satisfied with just one place.  That kid eats so much!


Then we walked to the end of the 16th Street Mall to a little park to enjoy our breakfast.


We ended up having about a half hour before they would let us into the ballpark, so we took a brief nap in the park.  It was very relaxing!


Back to our bleachers in left field.  We were in for an AMAZING Game!


Todd Helton signing autographs.  Little did those people know he would be the star player for the Rockies!  He ended up tying the game with a pinch-hit Grand Slam! which ended up sending the game into extra innings.


We were hoping to see R.A. Dickey pitch (long sleeves), but weren't that fortunate.  He is the only knuckleballer left in the Major Leagues right now, and he just happened to write a book that was published at the beginning of the season.  I have the book, but it is still a couple books down on my list of books to read, but I will get to it!  He is a Met, so I have to read it!


This was the best picture I could get of the "Earthman."  You can't really tell, but his beard is purple (Rockies color) and peanuts for earrings, like the kind you eat!  He was a crazy man who was in charge of getting our section wasted both games.  You should have seen his reaction when Jonny and I told him we don't drink.  The Corona can on his hat was just the tip of the iceberg of his outfit.  Needless to say, he was very entertaining during our two games in Denver!


Sitting at the airport waiting for our flight.  We ended up getting there really fast because our new friend, Abdi (taxi driver who took us to Coors Field the first day) picked us up right after the game ended and took us to the airport, so we missed all of the traffic!  It was amazing!  Security was a breeze to go through, and we met a TSA agent who was from Queens (ergo a Mets fan) but worked in Bountiful!  Crazy!  Everyone was shocked to learn of Mets fans from Utah, but what can I say?  I just love that they just swept the Phillies this past series as well!
Thanks for the fun trip Jonny!
GO METS!

No comments: